Dakota Recreation Report
- Dec. 16: North Dakota Game and Fish Department re-scheduled advisory board meeting, Scranton Town Hall, 7 p.m.
- Dec. 21: Canada goose season closes except Missouri River Zone.
- Dec. 21: Theodore Roosevelt National Park Christmas Bird Count, Medora Visitor Center, 8 a.m.
- NDGF Department District game wardens: Lake Audubon fair for walleye but ice depth varies.
- Bismarck, Dakota Tackle, Missouri River/area lakes: Some nice 15-inch walleye from Sweetbriar Dam. Nelson Bay on Lake Audubon producing walleye.
- Dickinson, Andrus Outdoors, Lake Sakakawea/area lakes: Tobacco Garden on Lake Sakakawea good for walleye in 6 to 8 feet with sauger in 20 to 22 feet. Indian Creek good for perch and small walleye. Lake Ilo producing some 4- to15-pound pike using smelt. Patterson Lake producing crappie, perch, and small walleye. Crappie and perch are more scattered than the walleye.
- Dickinson, Runnings Farm and Fleet, Lake Sakakawea/area lakes: Limited activity due to cold weather, although Tobacco Garden still producing some activity. Patterson Lake producing some nice-sized pike with some walleye. Indian Creek slow. No reports yet from Lake Tschida.
- Garrison, Cenex Bait and Tackle, Lake Sakakawea: Lake Audubon gaining ice with some fishing activity. Limited reports, however, with cold weekend weather. Lake Sakakawea icing over in the back bays with a few anglers walking on for a mix of perch, walleye, and pike. Ice depth varies greatly.
- Glen Ullin, Fitterer’s Inc., Lake Tschida: Limited activity.
- Mandan, Southside MVP, Missouri River/area lakes: No reports from the Missouri River, although some anglers are ice-fishing on Lake Oahe with fair success. Sweetbriar Dam was fair for small walleye. Frohlich Dam producing walleye and perch.
- Pick City, Scott’s Bait and Tackle, Lake Sakakawea/Missouri River: Weather limiting activity. Lake Audubon producing walleye.
- New Town, Scenic 23, Lake Sakakawea: The midsection of Lake Sakakawea is icing over but no activity because of cold weather.
- Watford City, One-Stop, Lake Sakakawea: Fair to good walleye and sauger success in Tobacco Garden with some houses now on the ice.
- Williston, Scenic Sports, Lake Sakakawea/Missouri River: Missouri River near Williston producing walleye. Limited reports from small area lakes and Lake Sakakawea due to cold weather.
- Northwest N.D.: Limited activity with cold weather.
- Southwest N.D.: Lots of coyote hunting with good success.
- West-central N.D.: Canada geese still on the open water of the Missouri River. Geese are feeding late. Limited pheasant hunting due to cold weather.
- Big Sky Resort, Big Sky, Mont.: 25- to 38-inch machine groomed, powder base. 30 runs and 11 lifts open.
- Bridger Bowl, Bozeman, Mont.: All lifts and run open with 38-inch base.
- Huff Hills, Mandan: Ski area open with 10 to 18-inch base. Blue lift and bunny run and 5 runs open.
- Red Lodge Ski Area, Red Lodge, Mont.: 35- to 39-inch machine groomed base with 5 lifts and 64 runs open.
- Ski Mystic at Deer Mountain, Lead, S.D.: Closed yet.
- Terry Peak, Lead, S.D.: Opening Dec. 14 with 16- to 24-inch base.
Numbers to know
- NDGF Department main Bismarck office: 701-328-6300; website (http://gf.nd.gov).
- NDGF Department Dickinson office: 701-227-7431.
- Report All Poachers: 800-472-2121.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bismarck, website: (www.fws.gov/northdakotafieldoffice).