Weather Forecast


Guilty plea made in case of youth caught at bar

A Dickinson man pleaded guilty Wednesday in Southwest District Court in Dickinson to unlawful encouragement or contribution to the delinquency of a minor.

But the Class A misdemeanor charge may be expunged from his record if he follows the terms of his 18-month unsupervised probation.

Jon Baisch, 40, explained to the court at his initial appearance that the minor, who he said was 15 years old and the state believed was 16 years old, was one of a group of seven people who went to the Esquire Club in Dickinson on Jan. 4.

Baisch said the minor was a designated driver and he had been handed Baisch's concealed weapons permit that had expired.

That evening while at the bar, the minor was approached by the police and eventually arrested.

While explaining the situation to Judge Zane Anderson and why he was guilty in the matter, Baisch said he was not arrested and charged until he went to the police station to bail the minor out of jail.

"I went to bail (the minor) out and they detained me for about an hour," he said. "I am guilty because he was in the bar. I broke the law because he was not 21."

Baisch was ordered by Anderson to pay $500 in fines and fees. Stark County Assistant State's Attorney Rhonda Ehlis also recommended that the offense by cleared from his record and sealed, as long as he remains law abiding during the next 18 months.

A Class A misdemeanor carries a maximum penalty of one year in prison and a $2,000 fine.

In other court:

Mark Twogood, 48, Dickinson, will be scheduled for future proceedings in a case alleging that he hired an individual to engage in sexual activity Jan. 5 at the Hampton in Dickinson, according to the citation.

Offering to hire an individual to engage in sexual activities is a Class B misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of 30 days in jail and a $100 fine plus $250 in court fees.

Since Twogood entered a not guilty plea at his initial appearance Wednesday in Southwest District Court, he said he was in the process of looking for an attorney to represent him, and was reminded by Anderson to line up representation soon in order to prevent a delay in the proceedings in the case.

Twogood was released on a $300 cash bond that was already posted in the case.