Weather Forecast

Dickinson Police Detective Kylan Klauzer, right, speaks to an unidentified witness on Friday morning at a Dickinson trailer park where a shooting took place in the early morning hours. (Press Photo by Dustin Monke)

Update: Man injured in Dickinson trailer park shooting; suspect remains at large


A shooter is still at large after a 41-year-old man was shot early Friday morning during an attempted burglary at a Dickinson trailer park, the Dickinson Police Department reported.


According to a police statement, an adult male, who concealed his face and was armed with a “long gun,” arrived at a camper being used as a permanent residence at Heather’s Villa Trailer Park at the 1100 block of Third Avenue West. The suspect demanded money and drugs before firing a number of rounds into the camper after a brief altercation at the doorway.

The suspect “quickly fled the area on foot,” according to a police statement.

Daniel Paul Aiello, who is originally of Florida and moved to Dickinson in 2011, said he lives in the camper and that the man who came to the door “was determined to shoot.”

Aiello said he and his guest, who was shot, were awake when the suspect knocked on their door and pointed a gun at them. Aiello said the man shot at three times and told him “I’m going to kill ya.” Eventually, Aiello said he tried to get the gun away from the man. He used objects around the camper to try and fight off the man, including a large cat scratching post that was outside the camper and was later among the objects confiscated as evidence by investigators.

“It’s not fun dodging a whole bunch of bullets and seeing an orange flame come out of the end of a barrel like that,” Aiello said.

Officers were dispatched after a 911 caller reported multiple shots fired in the area at 3:12 a.m. The crime scene investigation didn’t conclude until about 10 a.m.

A suspicious male was located on foot in the area shortly after police arrived. The man was taken into custody, detained at the Law Enforcement Center in Dickinson for questioning and was later released.

The gunshot victim was a guest of the camper’s residents. He was shot in a “lower extremity” and was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital, where he was treated and released. His name and city of residence have not been released.

A window on the trailer was broken and a shotgun shell was seen lying on the front yard Friday morning as Detective Kylan Klauzer investigated the scene.

Police say the public is not believed to be in any danger. The investigation is “fluid and ongoing,” according to the statement and no more information will be released “for fear of compromising the investigation.”

Mary Jane Olheiser, the owner of the trailer park, said she didn’t have any information about the crime.

Yolanda Suggs, a trailer park resident, said she was asleep when she “heard argument,” and then shots fired. Suggs said her husband, Michael, told her to get on the floor of their residence. They then heard more shots being fired.

“We didn’t know where it was coming from,” Suggs said. “It was really scary. We could hear people arguing and screaming, but we didn’t know what it was.”

Dustin Monke
Monke came to The Dickinson Press in July 2006 as the newspaper's sports editor and was hired as its managing editor in March 2013. During his tenure at The Press, Monke has won multiple awards for sports reporting, feature reporting, column writing, page design and photography. He has been a key member of The Press winning the North Dakota Newspaper Association's General Excellence and Sweepstakes awards in 2009 and 2012, as well as the Press' Sweepstakes win in 2013. As the newspaper's editor, he writes a Sunday column, contributes feature stories, designs pages and oversees the day-to-day operations of the newsroom and editorial staff.
(701) 456-1205