Construction crew hits gas lineA portion of 23rd Avenue was blocked for a short time late Thursday afternoon in order for a utility company to repair a gas leak.
A portion of 23rd Avenue was blocked for a short time late Thursday afternoon in order for a utility company to repair a gas leak.
No one was affected and service to customers was not disrupted.
The leak occurred when a construction company installing fiber optic cable near the corner of 23rd Ave and Fifth Street in Dickinson hit a Montana Dakota Utilities gas line, Fire Chief Bob Sivak said.
MDU Public Relations Representative Toby Spilde said he believes the construction company called the “Call Before You Dig” hotline, but for some unknown reason the gas line was still struck.
“The construction company did the right thing and immediately called 911,” Sivak said.
Spilde said MDU, the Dickinson Fire Department and Dickinson Police Department responded shortly after to fix the leak and assess public safety.
Spilde said workers shut off the gas and began repairing the leak.
Sivak said MDU also checked gas levels around the houses adjacent to the leak and would have evacuated the houses a precaution had there been anyone home.
The responders were on the scene for approximately 45 minutes, Spilde and Sivak said.
“MDU handled the response very well and got it under control in a timely manner,” Sivak said.
He added the slight winds helped disperse gas fumes.