Burn the Floor dancers bring home trophiesStudents from Burn the Floor, Diversity in Dance received top awards in Bismarck’s Starpower Talent Competition May 21-22.
Students from Burn the Floor, Diversity in Dance received top awards in Bismarck’s Starpower Talent Competition May 21-22.
All of the students received first-place awards for their pieces, said Director Nikki St. John.
“We don’t compete for trophies — you get a professional critique from three judges,” she said. “It’s to know where you’re at. With a different set of judges, the outcome could be different.”
St. John believes competitions keep the dancers grounded.
“It gives them a boost, of course — it feels good to get a trophy, but they stay grounded in where they stand right now and what has to be fixed,” she added.
Dancer Liz Brown said the competition was fun.
“It was laid-back, all the people helping you were really nice,” she said. “They said it wasn’t important what trophy we won — we were there to have fun and to perform.”
Seventeen routines were brought to the competition. In addition to the first-place awards, the following routines received awards:
* “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” by Mystika Booke and Sophie Olheiser, first overall in the lyrical division.
* “Tiny Dancer” by Madi Jarrett, Alyssa Haider, Ericka Williams, Skye Cardinal and Bria Kline, Judge’s Choice and first overall in the ballet division, petite small group.
* “Open Arms” by Booke, fourth overall in the lyrical division.
* “Ain’t No Sunshine” by St. John, Keyona Elkins, Elizabeth Brown, Kelsey LaFond, Madi Steier and Bree Fandrich, third overall in the adult division.
* “Ice Ice Baby” by Madi Jarrett, Jocelyn Theurer, Megan Hanson, Ava Ukestad, Bailee Kupper, Brooke Canode and Sterling Tooz, second overall in the hip hop division and the overall entertainment award out of over 200 routines.
* “Single Ladies” by Elkins, Brown, LaFond, Steier, Fandrich and Skyler Foss, 10th overall in the open division, senior small group.
* “Slave to the Vibe” by Sydney Dolyniuk, third overall in the open division.
* “Give it All You Got” by Brown, Elkins, Cailie Brewer, Gaige Maher, Foss, Mackenzi Hecker and Katrina Johnson, first overall in the hip hop division, small group.
* “Taking Chances” by Gillian Biscomb, second overall in the lyrical division.
* “I Hope You Dance” by Justine Anderson, second overall in the lyrical division (ages 12 and up).
* “Broken” by Brown received second overall in the lyrical division, senior solo.
* “Secrets” by Elkins received third overall in the open division, senior solo.
* “Break Your Heart” by Dolyniuk and Foss received first overall in the hip hop division, hip hop duo.
* “Black and Yellow” by Devon Wolf and Maher received first overall in the hip hop adult division and Judge’s Choice, hip hop duo.
Tags: lifestylesMore from around the web