There is so much misinformation about Measure 2 it’s pathetic.
Eighty percent of the problem is people have not bothered to acquaint themselves with the issue subjecting themselves to fear-mongering by the other 20 percent.
One complaint is that out-of-state property owners won’t be paying taxes to North Dakota.
Why should they be paying for local big businesses that receive huge abatements on their property taxes, also having to pay for services they themselves are unable to use?
Another big flaw in the tax system — it’s taxation without representation —like Dickinson State University inflating enrollment figures to obtain taxpayer money it’s not entitled to.
The DSU president lost his job and so should certain people be fired when valuations are raised and mill levies not lowered.
Where’s the money to replace the property tax revenue? The measure specifies explicitly that the state shall fully fund revenue lost by elimination before funding other state agencies.
Former Gov. Ed Schafer confirms no state taxes will have to be raised to meet this obligation.
An independent study verifies this. Currently, $400 million is earmarked for property tax replacement. Our wonderful spend-happy citizen Legislature may raise other taxes to spite the people who initiated and voted for the measure. Remember, they want to be a ruling monarchy advocating government at and against the people.
The group called “Keep It Local” is big fat lie, because there is no local control now!
Every dime spent is mandated by the state. You betcha! The people we elect to school boards, county and city commissions, etc., are puppets.
NDEA applauded the Legislature when it doubled the state’s share of funding for education and not a word was mentioned about losing local control. The state funds 70 percent of K-12. Why the big fuss about financing the other 30 percent?
Opponents say it’s very poorly written and thought out — entirely the opposite. It was written by their cronies, the Legislative Council. This measure was five years in the making. Every time opponents open their mouths they put their foot in it.
The criticisms of Measure 2 are opponents confessing their sins because they have nothing valid to argue. Nick Archuleta’s letter is a classic example.
Get the real truth about Measure 2. Go to the websites “Empower The Taxpayer and www.yesm2.com. Read “Property Tax Revolution” available at many businesses.
On June 12 vote to abolish property taxes forever.
Ralph Muecke, Gladstone