School year approaching fastThe summer is moving quickly in the Central Administration Office and the beginning of the 2012-13 school year is rapidly approaching.
By: Doug Sullivan, The Dickinson Press
The summer is moving quickly in the Central Administration Office and the beginning of the 2012-13 school year is rapidly approaching.
It was a busy hiring season for the Dickinson School District as the staff worked to fill 36 certified teaching and administrative positions. In five of the eight school buildings in the district, students will be welcomed by a new building principal.
Prairie Rose Elementary is under construction and the last report was that the project was on schedule to be opened in the fall of 2013.
We continue to prepare for the opening of school for all students with the first day of school on Wednesday, Aug. 22. However, there are dates rapidly approaching that are important for parents to include on their calendars.
These include registration at each of the school buildings, dates for freshman orientation at Dickinson High School and the dates for the school building open house events.
For families who are new to the school district, please remember that all students must be pre-registered at the Central Administration Office prior to going to the individual buildings. This can be accomplished in person or by completing the forms online and forwarding them by email to Sarah Ennis at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please remember that after the completed registration forms have been printed or emailed, parents must go to the Central Administration Office (444 4th St. W.) to complete the registration process prior to registering at a building.
Registration for all students in the Dickinson School District is as follows:
- Parents with children at the Early Childhood Center/Head Start can register individually by calling 701-227-3010 to arrange an appointment.
- Parents with children at all elementary schools (Berg, Jefferson, Heart River, Roosevelt and Lincoln), whether returning or new students, register at their school Tuesday, Aug. 7, through Thursday, Aug. 9, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Please remember that fifth-grade students at Lincoln (those in the fourth grade last year) have been assigned to attend school at Berg Elementary for the upcoming school year.
Parents with students attending Hagen Junior High will register at Hagen Junior High on the following dates:
- Grade seven on Monday, Aug. 13, from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.;
- Grade eight on Tuesday, Aug. 14, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and;
- New students and students unable to enroll on Aug. 13 or 14 register Wednesday, Aug. 15, at 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Parents with students attending Dickinson High School register at DHS using the following schedule:
- 8 a.m. to 11 a.m — Students whose last names begin with A-M.
- 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. — Students whose last names begin with N-Z.
- Monday, Aug. 13 — Seniors;
- Tuesday, Aug. 14 — Juniors;
- Wednesday, Aug. 15 — Sophomores;
- Thursday, Aug. 16 — Freshman and;
- Friday, Aug. 17 — new students and transfers.
Parents with students attending Southwest Community High School, please contact Jay Hepperle at 701-456-0042 to make an appointment to register from Aug. 13 through 17.
Finally, freshman and new student orientation at Dickinson High School is scheduled for Tuesday, Aug. 21, in the DHS auditorium from 8:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
Open house activities are provided for students to see the school they will be attending and/or to meet their teacher for the upcoming school year. The open house schedule at each of our school buildings is as follows:
Early Childhood Center:
- Jodi Martin’s classroom, Sept. 13, 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.;
- Jolene Wilhelmi’s classroom, Sept. 20, 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.;
- Kathy Bacon’s classroom, Sept. 27, 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. and;
- Jessica Koffler’s Classroom, Oct. 4, 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Berg, Monday, Aug. 20, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.;
- Heart River, Tuesday, Aug. 21, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.;
- Jefferson, Tuesday, Aug. 21, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.;
- Lincoln, Tuesday, Aug. 21, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.;
- Roosevelt, Tuesday, Aug. 21, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. and;
- Hagen Jr. High, Tuesday, Aug. 21, at 7 p.m.
The Open House/Orientation at Dickinson High School for freshman and new students is Tuesday, Aug. 21, from 8:15 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
Please make note of these dates and times and remember if you have not yet pre-registered your child at the Central Administration Office this must be done before the child can be registered at the individual building. The Central Administration Office is located at 444 Fourth St. W., and is open Monday through Friday.
On behalf of the Dickinson Public Schools and the school board, I would like to welcome all parents and students to the upcoming school year. We hope you each find it to be a productive, enjoyable and beneficial school year and if we can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Central Administration Office at 701-456-0002.
If you have any questions about this or any other issue in the Dickinson School District, please do not hesitate to contact me at 701-456-0002 or by email at email@example.com.