Letter: Mandaree Community Volunteer Needs Assessment looks at concerns
The Mandaree Community Volunteers Needs Assessment was completed on Aug. 9.
With these results we will implement the Mandaree Strategic Plan written with the Vision West North Dakota Project.
In November, the Mandaree Post Office was being permanently closed by the U.S. Postal Service. The Mandaree leaders were asked what they were going to do about it? They said it’s a done deal.
The Mandaree Community Volunteers and Walter DeVille Sr. (Mandaree Community Board member) initiated a grass roots petition drive.
While collecting 698 signatures and listening to concerns, the assessment was created and a report written on oil and gas impact. The post office remains open.
Below are a few highlights.
- 68.5 percent - residents live in overcrowded conditions.
- 74.1 percent - homes are in need of renovation/repair.
- 55.6 percent - homes have safety or sanitation issues.
- 50 percent - Mandaree School not preparing children for post-secondary training.
- 61.6 percent - new housing for teachers and employees is a must have.
- 89.7 percent - permanent 24-hour physician needed.
- 97.1 percent - new clinic needed.
- 72.5 percent - traffic speed control effectiveness by Fort Berthold Law Enforcement is poor.
- 79.7 percent - response time by Fort Berthold Law Enforcement is poor.
- 61.3 percent - residents feel less safe in the past two years.
- 89.9 percent - families are concerned for family safety due to man camps.
- 71.9 percent - visible pollution in the air is a problem.
- 75.5 percent - oil field resident’s garbage is a problem.
- 85.5 percent - trucks dumping or spilling unknown liquids on road is a problem.
- 85.5 percent - residents would participate in a recycling program.
- 91.3 percent - it is extremely important that Mandaree land be free of spills and damages from oil and gas development.
Mandaree oil and gas tax revenue to cover services
- 95.8 percent to improve streets and roads.
- 95.1 percent to improve emergency services.
- 52.2 percent - zoning (planning for land use) needs to be implemented throughout the Mandaree area.
- 97.9 percent - like to see a convenience store that sells gas.
- 84.5 percent - like to see a laundromat.
- 75.5 percent - outdated sewer system is a problem.
- 72.7 percent - outdated water system is a problem.
Lisa DeVille, Mandaree