Weather Forecast


School closed because of threat

Ray High School canceled classes Thursday following a threat of a school shooting.

Superintendent Daniel Anderson said the school was locked down after school officials received information of the threat Wednesday afternoon. School was called off and its 175 students were asked to stay home for their safety, Anderson said.

"We received a credible threat to one of our students," Anderson said. "And since the threat included the location being the school we considered we should not treat this lightly."

Ray is located about 40 miles from Williston in the northwest corner of the state.

Williams County Sheriff Scott Busching said law enforcement is investigating.

"A student at the Ray High School received an electronic message making a threat," Busching said. "It was a threat against the student."

Busching said the investigation is ongoing and several individuals have been interviewed, including the student who received it.

The person who sent the message has yet to be located, Busching said Thursday afternoon.

Without having the opportunity to interview the student who made the threat it's impossible to say there isn't anything to worry about, Busching said.

"I don't think the threat has been minimized. Am I more confident that it's not credible? Getting that way," Busching said. "We're finding some indicators that lead us to believe that the caller may not have been credible."

Anderson said the school plans to have classes today, which will be the last day of the school year.

"We believe that it is in the best interest of our people to have school tomorrow," Anderson said. "I am submitting a letter requesting some help from the Department of Public Instruction and possibly the governor to consider our situation as possibly forgiving the day."

With one more day of school and graduation approaching, Busching said his department will be available to provide increased security if there is still a threat.

Anderson said there are people that are upset about what happened, but he is comfortable with the decisions that were made with the students in mind.

"People are angered and upset that such a thing would happen," Anderson said. "Our people are very cautious for the safety and well-being of our students and community."