Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Duluth-based team wins first curling gold medal for America

Bismarck Fire Department urges smokers to “put it out all the way”

BISMARCK -- The Bismarck Fire Department has been seeing an increase in outside fires attributed to the “improper disposal of smoking materials,” it said in a news release.

The fires have been on  exterior balconies of residential buildings as well as other exterior areas of commercial properties.

While the fires were quickly extinguished, with no injuries and minimum property loss, they also emphasize the incredible risk that “improper disposal of smoking materials” can create for life and property, said the release.

The U.S. Fire Administration identifies “smoking” as the No. 1 cause of home fire deaths in the United States. These fires often affect not only the smoker, but others living in or next to the home at the time of the fire.

The new slogan from the department to smokers is “Put it Out, All the Way, Every Time.”  

If an approved smoking-material receptacle is not available, utilize a metal can filled with sand to properly extinguish or soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before disposing.

The department also said smokers shouldn’t  dispose of hot cigarette butts and ashes in the trash or upon vegetative materials such as potted plants, peat moss, landscaping mulch or dried grasses or leaves.

Forum News Service

The Forum Communications News Service is the premier news wire service covering the Upper Midwest, including the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin. In addition to breaking and enterprise news, we offer a wide variety of sports, features, business, agriculture, outdoors and opinion content. For more information about the services we offer or to discuss content subscriptions, please contact us.

Advertisement
randomness