Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Parents of 3-year-old ND boy who shot himself in head won’t face charges

WILLISTON, N.D. -- No charges are pending against the parents of a 3-year-old who accidentally shot himself in Williams County last year, authorities say.  

According to a news release from the Williams County Sheriff’s Office, the county’s state’s attorney’s office has completed a review of the case and decided not to move forward with criminal allegations.

The child is back at home after undergoing surgery and rehabilitation and is doing well, the release said.

Colvin Broome suffered what police said was apparently a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head on Dec. 5 while at home in Fendee Estates, a subdivision northwest of Williston. At least one parent was home at the time, police said.

He was flown to Minot and later transferred to Sanford Children’s Hospital in Fargo for treatment. While in the hospital he underwent surgery and at least one blood transfusion.

A family friend set up a GoFundMe account for the family to cover medical expenses. That has raised $6,275 so far. The account is available at https://www.gofundme.com/medical-funds-for-colvin-broome.

Police have not released further details on how the shooting happened or what type of gun was involved.

The Williams County Sheriff’s Office did not immediately return a request for comment on Thursday afternoon.

Advertisement