Plea deal reached in Cobb terrorizing case
BISMARCK - Grant County State’s Attorney Todd Schwarz said a plea agreement has been reached with white supremacist Craig Cobb, who is accused of terrorizing residents in the small town of Leith.
A change of plea hearing is set for 3 p.m. Thursday in Burleigh County. Schwarz said the deal calls for Cobb to plead guilty to one of the six felony terrorizing charges he faces. The other five terrorizing charges would be reduced to Class A misdemeanor menacing charges.
Under the recommended sentence, Cobb, who has been in jail since Nov. 16, would not serve any additional jail time.
He would be required to serve four years of supervised probation, with strict conditions.
Schwarz wouldn’t elaborate on the details of the conditions, but said Cobb would not be able to own a firearm again. He said Cobb has indicated he will not return to Grant County and is expected to divest his property holdings there.
Schwarz said that Cobb will not be allowed to move in with co-defendant Kynan Dutton in Underwood, as some residents there had feared. Dutton had previously pleaded guilty in the terrorizing case. The terms of Dutton’s probation do not allow him to associate with known felons.
Dutton had joined Cobb to live in Leith as part of Cobb’s plan to make it a haven for white supremacists and take over the town’s government.
They were accused of terrorizing residents of the town while conducting an armed patrol in November.
Schwarz said he expects Cobb to seek an interstate compact that would allow him to serve his probation in another state.