Weather Forecast


Police Blotter: Woman arrested for driving wrong way

Stark County Sheriff’s deputies arrested a Texas woman after a driver reported seeing her driving east in the westbound lane on Interstate 94 early Wednesday morning.

Teresa Hart, 28, of Justine, Texas, was arrested after midnight near Exit 42 for reckless driving and refusal to submit to a chemical test.

She told deputies she was “not sure where she was, not familiar with the road,” Sheriff Clarence Tuhy said. She denied being under the influence.

Woman arrested after rolling car twice

A Dickinson woman was arrested Wednesday evening near Gladstone after she rolled her vehicle twice, according to the Stark County Sheriff’s Office.

Jessica Meuchel, 38, had been driving north on 94th Avenue near Taylor when she rolled her vehicle the first time. No other vehicles were involved in the incident.

She then started driving south along the road and, between southwest 39th and 40th streets, and rolled her vehicle again.

Another driver who had been trailing her called the sheriff, who arrived shortly after the second rollover.

Meuchel was taken to the hospital with minor injuries. Her small SUV was towed.

She was arrested for leaving the scene of an accident with an injury, refusal to submit to a chemical test and for having an open receptacle.

White pickup stolen from Ninth Avenue East

Dickinson Police officers have released a be-on-the-lookout alert to nearby agencies for a white Chevrolet S-10 pickup that was stolen early Wednesday.

It was taken from a residence on the 300 block of Ninth Avenue East. The man who reported the theft said the vehicle belonged to his roommate, who has been out of town all week.

The truck has a red topper and is believed to have Minnesota plates. It has been entered into the National Crime Information Center database.

Man arrested after non-violent 2½-hour standoff with police

Officers arrested a homeless man residing in Dickinson early Wednesday morning after a 2½ -hour standoff in a private backyard on the 1300 block of Empire Road.

Dereck Duncan, 20, entered the backyard and climbed up a tree. The owner of the house called officers to report the incident and said Duncan was talking to himself.

When officers arrived, they found Duncan about 60 feet up the tree. He “seemed to be in a state of paranoia,” Dickinson Police Capt. Dave Wilkie said.

Duncan told officers he believed agents were following him and refused to come down.

Officers spoke to Duncan for more than two hours before he tried to escape, jumping onto the roof of the house and then a tree. He finally asked for help down, at which point he was handcuffed without further incident.

Couple arrested after domestic violence incident in Dickinson

Two Dickinson residents were arrested Wednesday night following a fight at a residence on the 400 block of Second Avenue West.

David Astle, 36, and Laurie Starnes, 51, had been arguing when Astle left the house. Starnes, afraid for her safety, took a pistol out of her nightstand and loaded three rounds in it, Dickinson Police Capt. Dave Wilkie said.

When Astle came back, Starnes allegedly pointed the gun at him and told him to leave. He took the gun from her and hit her in the head with it.

Astle was arrested for aggravated assault. Starnes was taken to the hospital for stitches and later arrested for terrorizing for pointing the gun at Astle.