Many towns prep for weekend celebrations
Area towns are busy prepping up for big Independence Day celebrations.
A variety of activities in Hettinger are planned this weekend, including a parade to live music.
"Saturday is our very, very busy day," said Earleen Friez from the Hettinger Chamber of Commerce, the group organizing the events. "You have to start planning these things in the fall."
At noon, the city hosts a free meal, and workers usually serve about 1,500 people each year, she said.
"This has been going on for years and years," Friez said. "It's just a Hettinger tradition. It takes a lot of volunteers and sponsors to put it all together."
In Medora, parades will be held on Saturday and Sunday, said Annette Schilling, Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation marketing and public relations director.
"Those parades go right through downtown," Schilling said, adding there is also a professional fireworks display downtown. "Who wouldn't want to be in Medora for the fourth? I think we'll have a good crowd."
Other area July 4 activities include:
- 8 a.m. - Rodeo Slack
- 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.- Craft fair at the American Legion, inflatable slide and petting zoo at rodeo grounds
- 10:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.- Mason's barbecue, city park
- 3 p.m. - Parade, begins at Killdeer High School
- 9 p.m. - Fireworks
- 10:30 a.m. - Parade
- 11:30 a.m. - Potluck lunch
- 9:30 a.m. - Parade
- 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. - barbecue
- 1 p.m. - Rodeo
- 6:30 a.m. - Firemen's free-will breakfast at the American Legion
- 6:30 a.m. - 21st Annual Fun Run & Walk at the park. Run begins at 7:30 a.m., walk begins at 8 a.m.
- 10:30 a.m. - Parade on Main Street
- Noon - Free meal at the park
- Noon- 4 p.m. - Children's inflatable games at the park
- 1- 5 p.m. - Special activities at Dakota Buttes Museum
- 1 p.m. - Horseshoe tournament at the American Legion
- 2 p.m.- 5 p.m. - Hoop shoot at the park
- 4:30 p.m. - "Big Bang Golf Scramble"
- 5:30 p.m.-7 p.m. - Burgers and brats in the park
- 6:30 p.m.- 9:30 p.m. - Entertainment by "New Horizons" followed by "Kruger Brothers"
r 9 p.m. - Wedding reception dance of Nyle and Roxanne Walch at the American Legion, open to all
- 10 p.m. - Fireworks over Mirror Lake
- Dusk- Fireworks at the Regent ball diamond
- 3:30 p.m. - Parade downtown
- 8:30 p.m. - Medora Musical featuring a patriotic themed finale; immediately following the musical-, fireworks show downtown
- Friday-fireworks display at Bowman Haley Dam at dusk
- 8 a.m. - Rodeo at Little Missouri Saddle Club Arena, slack starts 8 a.m., performance at 5 p.m.
- 1 p.m. - parade and games after. Also, after parade is a benefit pie and pig auction, Oe Iva Schoch, daughter of Heidi Perry and Mike Schoch
- 3 p.m. - Tug-of-war-Main Street
- Dusk- Fireworks with dance to follow-Main Street