Weather Forecast


Rescue mission complete: Plows clear path through storm for stranded travelers, sheriff

FNS Photo by John Stennes Lincoln Marshall, left, and Britton Smith, both with the North Dakota Department of Transportation, braved a blizzard Monday night to go out on Interstate 29 with snowplows to rescue Walsh County Sheriff Lauren Wild and three stranded motorists.

GRAND FORKS — Walsh County Sheriff Lauren Wild was stranded along Interstate 29 east of Grafton for about six hours during a blizzard Monday night while attempting to rescue a pair of travelers.

It took two snowplows, clearing a 25-mile path from Grand Forks to Exit 172 and back, to get Wild and the stranded travelers to safety.

Wild responded to the initial call late Monday afternoon, trying to reach them in his four-wheel-drive vehicle.

“They had about a quarter-tank of gas when we got the call,” Wild said Tuesday.

Officially, I-29 was closed at the time. It had been closed at 12:30 p.m. Monday between Grand Forks and the Canadian border. It reopened at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.

The northbound travelers, who live in the Winnipeg area, were stranded at about milepost 170.

“I made it as far as 172, but I couldn’t make it any farther. And I couldn’t back up,” the sheriff said.

He had a full tank of fuel and was in constant contact his office, so he was not too concerned about his own safety. However, the stranded motorists were not as fortunate.

“They ran out of gas around 9 or 9:30,” he said. “That’s when everything changed.”

Bad road

Wild got in touch with the North Dakota Department of Transportation’s district office in Grand Forks.

Lincoln Marshall, NDDOT district transportation services supervisor, and operator Britton Smith responded, each driving a large snowplow north on I-29.

“The drifts were 3 or 4 feet deep,” Marshall said. “We got there at about 11:30. We actually found the motorists first. We stopped at the car. They were in the car and they were cold.”

Since the NDDOT trucks do not have room for passengers, he said, they continued to where Wild’s vehicle was stranded, to bring help to the motorists.

“We could see the vehicle from where we were,” Marshall said.

Then, they plowed southward in the northbound lane, with the sheriff following in his vehicle. The stranded motorists rode with Wild.

However, the rescue mission was not finished yet.

As they approached Exit 152 at Manvel, they saw a pickup in the ditch.

They then rescued a lone driver, who also climbed into Wild’s vehicle for the trip to Grand Forks.

“He was trying to get on the interstate at Manvel,” said Marshall, a five-year NDDOT veteran snowplow operator.

Wild and the Winnipeg travelers stayed overnight in Grand Forks motels.

Wild said Marshall and Smith deserve a lot of credit for guiding them to safety.

“I can’t say enough about them,” Wild said. “They did an absolutely tremendous job. “They were working pretty much around the clock, and when they got to us, it was nothing but smiles.”

Kevin Bonham

Kevin Bonham covers regional news, mostly from northeast North Dakota, for the Grand Forks Herald. A North Dakota native who grew up in Mandan and Dickinson, he has been a reporter or an editor with the Herald and Forum Communications for more than 30 years. Find his articles at: He welcomes story ideas via email,, or by phone, (701) 780-1110.  

(701) 780-1110