- Member for
- 5 years 1 month
CANNON BALL, N.D. — North Dakota's chief archaeologist has found that no burial sites or significant sites were destroyed by Dakota Access Pipeline construction. In a Sept. 22 memo from state archaeologist Paul Picha, he writes that seven archaeologists from the State Historical Society of North Dakota surveyed the construction area west of State Highway 1806 that the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe says contains sacred sites.
CANNON BALL, N.D. — Controversy over what would be the Bakken's largest oil pipeline has put North Dakota in the international spotlight. Opposition to the Dakota Access Pipeline has prompted the largest gathering of Native Americans in decades while also attracting attention from celebrities, presidential candidates and the United Nations. The fight over the $3.78 billion pipeline has high stakes for both sides, as oil industry leaders look forward to a direct pipeline route for North Dakota oil to access refineries in the Gulf Coast.
MINOT, N.D — The North Dakota Petroleum Council doesn't formally endorse governor candidates, but the industry group seems enthusiastic about Republican Doug Burgum. About 450 oil industry representatives heard from both Burgum and Democratic opponent Marvin Nelson during the council's annual meeting in Minot this week. The winner of the governor's race will lead the North Dakota Industrial Commission, which regulates the oil industry.
MINOT, N.D. — A handful of Dakota Access Pipeline opponents took over the stage Wednesday, Sept. 21, as North Dakota's top oil regulator spoke to an oil industry group's annual meeting. The elders of the Oglala Lakota Nation referred to the pipeline as the "black snake" as they took the podium and microphone while Department of Mineral Resources Director Lynn Helms was speaking to the North Dakota Petroleum Council.
MINOT — A Three Affiliated Tribes official urged oil industry leaders Tuesday to understand tribal sovereignty and treat tribal nations with respect as the Dakota Access Pipeline was on the minds of many at a North Dakota Petroleum Council event. Councilman Ken Hall referenced the Dakota Access controversy while addressing the industry group's annual meeting where Hall was recognized for outstanding public service.
BISMARCK — North Dakota's top oil regulator says he is disappointed new rules for gathering pipelines won't take effect Oct. 1 as proposed, missing a prime construction period. Lynn Helms, director of the Department of Mineral Resources, said the decision last week by a legislative committee to delay action on some oil rules means pipelines installed this fall won't be subject to a sweeping new set of regulations approved by the North Dakota Industrial Commission.
NEW TOWN, N.D. — Federal pipeline regulators will be in North Dakota this week investigating complaints about an oil pipeline recently installed under Lake Sakakawea. Personnel from the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration are investigating claims from former crew members on the Sacagawea Pipeline that the coating of the pipe was not properly inspected before it was installed under the lake.
BISMARCK – A federal judge in North Dakota has tossed a restraining order against Dakota Access Pipeline protesters but had harsh words for unlawful and violent protesters who “constitute a...
BISMARCK - North Dakota oil production held steady in July and remained over 1 million barrels per day, the Department of Mineral Resources said Friday. Oil production increased more than 2,300 barrels per day in July to 1.029 million barrels per day, according to the preliminary figures. Director Lynn Helms said in his monthly update that low oil prices continue to drive the slowdown in the oil industry, which is expected to last at least through this year and perhaps into the second quarter of 2017.
MANDAN, N.D. — After back-to-back days of arrests connected to the Dakota Access Pipeline protest, Thursday, Sept. 15, was quiet for Morton County law enforcement but a busy day for the court as prosecutors filed charges against additional protesters. Seven individuals are charged with reckless endangerment or conspiracy to commit reckless endangerment stemming from Tuesday and Wednesday incidents involving people who attached themselves to construction equipment.