FORT YATES, N.D. -- A Fort Yates man died early Saturday morning after being struck in the stomach by artillery shell-style fireworks.
Family members of Preston Village Center, 31, confirmed that the incident occurred early in the morning on the Fourth of July.
Gwen Village Center, Preston Village Center's aunt, said that he placed an artillery shell into the firing tube but when it didn't fire he checked on it. She said the tube then toppled and fired the shell into Preston Village Center's stomach.
Though Mandan-based DaWise-Perry Funeral Services handled the initial call, Mobridge, S.D.-based Kesling Funeral Home is handling the funeral arrangements.