Mother warns Trinity students of alcohol, pill use
"I was gathering laundry out of Jack's room," said Becky Savage, a public speaker addressing an auditorium full of young listeners. "I remember looking at him while he was sleeping and thinking he looked like an angel sleeping. Little did I know the prophecy that thought would hold for me that day. ... I walked over to his bed to awaken him, and those next few moments are what still haunt me to this day. You see, I'm a nurse. I've been trained in saving people's lives, and that day I could not perform my job as a nurse, or as a mother. My son was lifeless."
Savage told students at Trinity Junior High and High School on Monday the story of her eighteen-year-old son, Jack, and his nineteen-year-old brother, Nick. They died on the same night, both having overdosed on alcohol and oxycodone consumed at a graduation party.
The auditorium was a sea of red, silent save for the sound of sniffles as Savage played a video for students in tribute to her sons, complete with heartfelt recollections from their friends of when they heard the news.
"It was really emotional for me," eighth-grader Abbygail Linker said. "It spreads a really good message."
Her reaction, and the reaction of the student body as a whole, was fairly standard for Savage.
"They all kind of react the same," said Savage. "They're all real quiet. I tried to show them that (video) cause I know with kids, you have to hit that emotional core with them, otherwise they're not gonna remember it.
"Usually, I don't ever get questions," she added, "because they're still shell-shocked from the video, but afterwards I'll get messages sent to me, or the counselor's office is a little bit busier."
After the presentation, students left the auditorium to pose for a picture, standing to form three shapes: a J for Jack, an N for Nick and a heart. They will make a canvas out of the photo and present it to her.