FARGO - Police were still hunting for a homicide suspect Friday night, Sept. 21, after a man was shot dead at a south Fargo apartment earlier in the day.

Christopher B. Riley was identified as the suspect, according to Deputy Chief Joe Anderson of the Fargo Police Department. It’s unknown whether Riley is still in the Fargo-Moorhead area, police said.

At 11:23 a.m. Friday, there was a medical call to an apartment in the building at 2302 17th St. S., and the caller told emergency dispatchers that a man shot himself.

However, when officers arrived, the caller was not at the apartment and a gun was found, police said. The caller's identity is unknown, and the victim's identity was not released.

An initial investigation showed that the death was a homicide, not a suicide. Police then determined Riley was the suspect.

He’s described as a white man, 5-foot-11, about 185 pounds, with brown hair and hazel eyes. He’s believed to be driving a gray 2003 Dodge Ram pickup truck with a gray topper and Minnesota plates 400NTE.

If Riley or the truck are spotted, police ask that the public not approach him because he may be armed. Instead, the public should call 911 to alert law enforcement.

Atlee Moet, a neighbor of the victim, said she was at home Friday and sleeping on her couch when the shooting was reported and she did not hear any gunshots.

Moet said she didn’t know the victim that well, but “I saw him often, running into each other in the hallway.”

Moet said she didn’t recognize the suspect, but she immediately recognized the gray 2003 Dodge Ram pickup truck as the victim’s. Police wouldn't confirm whether the pickup belonged to the victim.

Moet said she heard a lot of commotion coming from the victim’s second-floor apartment on Tuesday, Sept. 18. She said at one point Tuesday night, there was loud pounding on the door followed by someone yelling,“Fargo police!”

However, she said she never saw any law enforcement. Police haven’t confirmed if there were other recent calls to the apartment.

On Friday evening, Fargo police were still on scene investigating. A cardboard barrier was set up on the victim’s balcony apparently to conceal the crime scene.