Weather Forecast


Devils Lake shooting victim’s family wants officer fired

Daniel Fuller, 26, was killed in a officer-involved shooting July 5 in Devils Lake. Special to Forum News Service1 / 2
Devils Lake Police Detective Brandon Potts receives a service award earlier this year. Potts was identified as the officer who fatally shot Daniel Fuller in July. (Devils Lake Police Department Photo)2 / 2

DEVILS LAKE, N.D. — The family of Daniel Fuller, a Devils Lake man who was fatally shot by a detective in July, want the officer who killed their son to be fired.

Fuller, 26, was shot in the back of the head by Detective Brandon Potts after a foot chase led to a reported struggle between the two on July 5, 2018.

Ramsey County State’s Attorney Kari Agotness did not charge Potts in the case because the officer "had probable cause to believe the use of deadly force was necessary," Agotness wrote in a memorandum about the shooting in November.

The case is now being reviewed by the FBI, but the status is unclear.

Potts has not resumed police work, but Daniel Fuller’s father, Terry Fuller, said he and others are concerned the city may bring Potts back onto the force.

During a City Commission meeting Monday, Jan. 7, Terry Fuller spoke out, calling for the city to fire Potts.

“Basically, I called them all cowards and I told the police chief himself that ‘when you came out and told us what happened, you couldn’t even look me in the face. You know it’s a cold-blooded murder. You know Potts murdered my son,’” Terry Fuller said.

He plans to start a petition that would call for Potts to be fired and bring it to the next City Commission meeting.

In September, more than 100 people came to support the Fuller family during a demonstration outside Devils Lake City Hall. Terry Fuller says he believes that show of support will continue for the petition.

“I figured I’d probably get at least two-thirds of the town to sign it,” he said.

He said the city has not spoken to the family about the case.

“They refuse to talk to us, they refuse to say anything to us because of a pending lawsuit, evidently,” he said.

City and Police Department officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.