A Spearfish, S.D., man was sentenced Monday for assaulting and terrorizing a Reeder woman in August 2018.

Todd Michael Anderson, 56, pleaded guilty in June to simple assault, a Class B misdemeanor, and terrorizing, a Class C felony.

Anderson appeared before Judge William A. Herauf in Stark County District Court Monday for sentencing and restitution hearings.

According to the criminal complaint, on Aug. 4, 2018, Anderson attacked the victim at her residence in Adams County, "choking her by the neck several times until she was rendered unconscious."

Charges of criminal attempt - murder, a Class A felony, and fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer, a Class C felony, were dismissed.

In North Dakota, a Class C felony carries a maximum sentence of five years in jail and a $10,000 fine

The maximum sentence for a Class B misdemeanor is one year in jail and $2,000 in fines.

Herauf sentenced Anderson to five years incarceration, with three years suspended, for the felony charges.

For the misdemeanor, Anderson received 30 days in jail with 30 days suspended for one year and no fines.

The sentences are concurrent, with 24 days credit for time served.

"I'm very much concerned with the violence here. I'm concerned about the level of violence," Herauf said. "I'm concerned because we might have been dealing with a death here."

Anderson was given $2,000 in fines for the felony charge, with the entire amount suspended, and ordered to pay $560 in fees.

At the restitution hearing, the victim requested $5,400 for damages resulting from Anderson's attack.

Items included a damaged denture plate and broken eyeglasses.

"Todd was being crazy," the victim said. "I ran that night. I had to take my dogs and hide them. I came back that morning and he decided he wanted to kill me. He had already trashed my house and took my teeth and my glasses."

Anderson's attorney, Kevin McCabe, of Dickinson argued that restitution should be limited to damages that occurred during the assault, and not other instances, which, he argued, should have been charged as separate crimes, such as vandalism.

The victim was unable to recall what specifically was damaged during the assault.

"I was thrown into the mantle of the fireplace and broke seven ribs," the victim said. "I was dazed for three or four months. He did a pretty good number on me."

Herauf awarded $545 in restitution to be paid.

"(That amount) has been shown to me to be directly related to the particular criminal actions, and we'll have that as part of the restitution," he said.

He informed the victim that full compensation can be pursued in civil court.