Sergio Ruiz Ledezma has pleaded not guilty to criminal vehicular homicide.

Ledezma waived a preliminary hearing in Stark County District Court Monday and his attorney, Thomas F. Murtha of Murtha Law Firm, entered the plea on his behalf.

Criminal vehicular homicide is a Class A felony and in North Dakota carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in jail and/or a $20,000 fine, and minimum fines totaling $1,025.

The Dickinson resident, 58, was charged in December after a multi-vehicle accident on South State Avenue left one injured and another deceased.

At approximately 4:15 p.m. on Dec. 5, Dickinson Police Officers responded to a 9-1-1 report of a multiple vehicle accident with serious injuries on South State Avenue near the intersection of Diamond Drive.

Newsletter signup for email alerts

Ledezma was traveling southbound and drivers Matthew Biel and Shawn Flaherty were both traveling northbound on State Avenue when Ledezma's vehicle crossed the center line and struck Biel's vehicle on the rear driver's side.

After striking Biel's vehicle, Ledezma's vehicle struck head-on with Flaherty's vehicle. Biel's vehicle came to rest partially on the northbound roadway and the east sidewalk, while Ledezma and Flaherty's vehicles came to rest within the intersection of State and Diamond.

The three drivers were wearing their seat belts at the time of the crash.

Ledezma was transported to CHI St. Alexius Hospital and later transferred to Bismarck Sanford Hospital by Dickinson Ambulance for injuries sustained in the crash.

Biel was not injured in the crash.

Flaherty, 64, was pronounced deceased at the scene from injuries sustained in the crash.

Ledezma's bond was set at $200,000 cash.

He was "highly intoxicated" at the time of the incident, according to the Stark County State's Attorney office.

Ledezma has a previous charge of driving under the influence of alcohol, a Class B misdemeanor, from March 2018. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 30 days in jail, with 30 days suspended, placed on unsupervised probation, and ordered to pay $750 in fees.