Dickinson Police contend with three high-level assaults

The Dickinson Police Department continues the investigation into several high-incident calls over the weekend which included a stabbing and an assault with a handgun.

The Dickinson Police Department continue investigations with three different assaults that spurred over Saturday and Sunday in Dickinson. (Dickinson Press File Photo)

As investigations carry on, the Dickinson Police Department received three different high-incident calls over this past weekend, including a stabbing and an assault with a handgun. One investigation continues involving two Hispanics who fled from an assault scene.


The Dickinson Police Department is currently in the investigative stage of identifying two suspects, Lt Mike Hanel said, adding that the agency hopes to have arrest warrants drafted by Wednesday.

“The investigators are just following up on the leads that they had from the last few days and just verifying that we’re on the right track and having the attorneys review the case,” Hanel said.

Dickinson Police officers responded to an open 911 line Sunday afternoon with an active assault occurring at a residence in the 900 block of Custer Street. Two Hispanic males fled from the residence upon arrival of the Dickinson Police Department. One man dropped a handgun in the process and fled in a dark-colored Jeep SUV with “fictitious North Dakota license plates 773BVX” while the other fled on foot.


Through interviews, officers gathered that the two males entered the house and inquired about a trailer. Followed by an argument, one of the males proceeded to assault the victim using a handgun. The handgun was not discharged; however, the victim suffered a minor head injury, according to a DPD press release.

“Both suspects remain at large. It is believed that the victims and suspects knew each other, and the public is not believed to be in danger,” the DPD press release stated.


Tevin Lashawn Watkins, 28, was arrested and charged with aggravated assault and reckless endangerment after allegedly stabbing a 43-year-old male Saturday. The victim was transported to Dickinson’s St. Alexius Hospital and later airlifted to a Fargo hospital for further care. As of late Tuesday, Hanel said to The Press that there was no updated word on the condition of the victim.

At approximately 5:45 p.m. Saturday, Dickinson Police officers responded to a 911 call in the 1000 block of Meadows Drive and located the 43-year-old victim suffering a stab wound to the neck. Hanel noted that the incident was not random, and the two individuals were not complete strangers.

“(Watkins) had actually called us because he also sustained injuries as well, so we met him at his residence,” Hanel said, adding that Watkins’ injuries were minor.

The victim was stable at the scene but was in need of specialized care, Hanel said. At one point, both shifts of the Dickinson Police Department assisted with the scene, he added.

Watkins is in custody at the Southwest Multi-County Correctional Center and awaits a bond hearing. Meanwhile, the investigation remains ongoing.



The third incident involved 32-year-old Kelly James Mann who was arrested Sunday afternoon by DPD officers after they were called to the 500 block of Sims Street regarding a report of a male assaulting a female.

When officers arrived at the scene, witnesses informed them of Mann, who began to flee on foot. A DPD officer attempted to detain Mann in an adjacent alleyway, but he began to resist arrest so the officer deployed a taser.

Mann was transported to the Southwest Multi-County Correctional Center and charged with allegedly resisting an officer and carrying a concealed weapon. Investigation with the assault continues.

With three high-incident calls, Hanel said that it kept the entire department busy throughout the weekend.

“It was crazy,” Hanel said. “It seems almost every agency across North Dakota had a busy weekend. I was talking to some of my counterparts over in the East and they were certainly busy. Fargo had a shooting there. So yeah, there was a whole bunch of crazy this weekend.”

The number of assaults “come in waves,” Hanel remarked. Some weekends, bar fights will disperse throughout the city. Then the next weekend will “mellow” out, he added.

“We’re thankful that all of the injuries that were sustained in all of these incidents were relatively minor. Each of those incidents had a high intensity for violence and we’re glad that it was limited to the amount it was,” Hanel said. “... We were staffed as best as we could but it definitely challenged us to the max as far as being able to respond to everything.”


If the public has information regarding these incidents, Hanel encourages them to call the DPD at 701-456-7759.

Jackie Jahfetson is a former reporter for The Dickinson Press.
What To Read Next
With HB 1205, Reps Mike Lefor and Vicky Steiner would prohibit "sexually explicit content" in public libraries. Facing an uphill battle, the pair remain united in their commitment to see it passed.
The North Dakota Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.
City accountant reports increases in oil impact, sales tax, hospitality tax and occupancy tax revenue during the Jan. 24 meeting, commission approves two policy amendments.
Testimony to the top House committee from a convicted attendee of the Jan. 6 rally focused on the "inhumane" treatment of Jan. 6 defendants. The committee rejected a resolution on the matter 12-0.