In the late evening hours of Tuesday, the Dickinson Fire Department responded to a garage fire on the southeast side of the city, and were able to contain the fire to the building — at a total loss to the structure.

The fire took place on the 600 block of First Avenue Southeast; the call came in at 9:48 p.m. and authorities arrived at the scene within 2 minutes. No injuries occurred, but an estimated damage totaling more than $100,000 was identified, Fire Chief Jeremy Presnell said.

The Dickinson Fire Department actively fought the fire for 30 minutes while the Dickinson Police Department provided at-scene assistance in directing traffic, Presnell said.

The cause of the fire is believed to be an electrical issue that originated from a vehicle which was parked inside the garage, Presnell said. The fire quickly spread to the garage and the Dickinson Fire Department remained on scene for approximately 2 and a half hours, he added.

“The call first came in as just a vehicle on fire there in the garage, but by the time we made it there, the garage was on fire,” Presnell said. “We actually couldn’t get inside the garage because there was so much fire damage that the roof was caving and collapsing in.”

Newsletter signup for email alerts

Though there was nothing that the owner could have done to prevent the fire, Presnell remarked that the incident was a freak accident.