A trailer home located in the North Park Campground on Dickinson's northeast side was claimed by a fire early Thursday, April 8.
The Dickinson Fire Department received a call, reporting a porch on fire at approximately 4 a.m. at 862 Palomino Lane. A neighbor had alerted the two adults and child who were sleeping inside the home to evacuate, Dickinson Fire Chief Jeremy Prensell said. There were no injuries to any individuals, and while on scene, firefighters rescued a black and white cat who was still alive and soaked from water used by crews to extinguish the flames.
“When we arrived on scene, the fire had extended into the trailer and then (had) gotten into the roof,” Presnell said at the scene.
Yellow caution tape sealed off the burnt home, as remnants of a home lay strewn in and around the fire's damage. A large teddy bear sat, seemingly resigned to the loss, in the yard of the home as the charred foundation and peeled off insulation revealed the extreme damages.
“It’s a total loss,” Presnell said, noting that the home is worth approximately $50,000. “With trailers, it doesn’t take much.”
A total of 18 fire personnel and six fire trucks extinguished the fire within 30 minutes.
“It was in the roof and (there was) a little bit of trouble getting into it,” he said, adding, “Working smoke detectors save lives. Make sure that when you change your clock, you change your batteries and make sure you do have working smoke detectors in your home. If you need assistance, don’t hesitate to call the fire department; we can help out.”
Officials of the Dickinson Fire Department were at the scene for approximately 3.5 hours, and the investigation is still pending.
The American Red Cross was contacted immediately to provide the family with assistance and allow them to stay at a local hotel during this difficult time .
The Dickinson Fire Department would like to remind the public that Stark County is currently under a high fire rating, and all burning including outdoor/backyard fire pits, fireplaces and chimeneas are prohibited. Gas grills or pellet smokers are allowed.
For assistance with smoke detectors, contact the Dickinson Fire Department at 701-456-7625. For information on how to prevent fires, or to view maps showing current burn ban restrictions and fire danger levels, visit www.ndresponse.gov.