Gas leak clears out Dickinson apartment building
A building at Sierra Ridge Apartment Homes is essentially without heat after a gas leak detected Friday afternoon caused the building's gas to be shut off.
A building at Sierra Ridge Apartment Homes is essentially without heat after a gas leak detected Friday afternoon caused the building’s gas to be shut off.
Hilary Hartman of the Dickinson Fire Department said a maintenance worker first noticed a strong gas odor on the third floor of the building, at which they alerted the fire department. Firefighters smelled the odor and pulled an alarm to evacuate the building.
Hartman said further investigation with Montana-Dakota Utilities personnel did not yield the source of the leak, prompting the main gas line to the building to be shut off.
He said the gas would not be turned back on until a contractor was summoned to pressure-test each of the lines inside the building.
In the meantime, Hartman said he was unsure whether the complex’s management would let the tenants back into the building, or when a contractor would be called to the premises.
Sierra Ridge did not immediately return a message left by The Press.