Mandan man lights himself on fire during drug trip, steals car
A Mandan man is recovering from severe self-inflicted burns after a drug trip went south Monday afternoon. David Kissee, 33, lit himself on fire near DJ's Tesoro gas station on 12th Street West around noon yesterday, authorities say. He ran throu...
A Mandan man is recovering from severe self-inflicted burns after a drug trip went south Monday afternoon.
David Kissee, 33, lit himself on fire near DJ’s Tesoro gas station on 12th Street West around noon yesterday, authorities say. He ran through the car wash, which put out the fire, but his escapades did not end there.
Kissee then stole a car parked next to the entrance of the car wash, drove off and abandoned the vehicle blocks away. He then entered a residence on the 600 block of First Avenue West, where the homeowner, who was there at the time, reported hearing someone enter his home and detecting a “strong odor of gasoline,” Dickinson Police Captain David Wilkie said.
When officers arrived, they found Kissee in the basement with severe burns on his hands, legs and body. He was taken by ambulance to St. Joseph’s Hospital, but his injuries were so severe he had to be airlifted to the Regions Hospital Burn Center in St. Paul, Minn.
Kissee’s condition is unknown, but he was able to describe to police his version of the incident.
“His story is that several officers attacked him wearing full chemical suits, and they sprayed him with chemicals and put him in a shed,” Wilkie said. “So, he’s hallucinating.”
Kissee said “he could cure the burning from the chemical by putting gasoline on himself. He lit a cigarette, which lit the gasoline on fire, which lit him on fire,” Wilkie said.
Charges haven’t been made, but Kissee faces charges of reckless driving, criminal mischief, criminal trespass, criminal trespassing into a dwelling, theft of a motor vehicle, theft of property and ingestion of a controlled substance.
“Just about anything you can think of, he’s being charged with,” Wilkie said. “It’s quite an incident.”