ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Mobile home ignites early Wednesday

DICKINSON - A Wednesday morning fire swept through a mobile home located on Third Avenue West in Center Park LLC. Dickinson Volunteer Fire Department Chief Bob Sivak said the home was unoccupied at the time and the structure is a total loss. "The...

DICKINSON - A Wednesday morning fire swept through a mobile home located on Third Avenue West in Center Park LLC.

Dickinson Volunteer Fire Department Chief Bob Sivak said the home was unoccupied at the time and the structure is a total loss.

"The trailer was just being set up. It didn't even have utilities hooked up to it yet or anything," Sivak said. "It was my understanding that it was being set up as a rental unit."

Sivak said the fire was reported at 4:01 a.m.

"The staff at the Holiday station called it in," Sivak said.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said the fire is believed to have been unintentionally caused by a cutting torch.

"There was work being done to the frame of the...mobile home involving a cutting torch, which ignited combustible framing members that apparently smoldered through the night until ignition early in the morning," Sivak said. "They were unaware they had caused that, of course, to happen."

Sivak said fire personnel were first on the scene at 4:06, the first truck arrived at 4:07 and the fire was under control at 4:29.

A total of four fire trucks and 30 firefighters were on the scene. The last unit left the scene at about 5:09 a.m.

Sivak added the fire did not spread past the mobile home, which was the only thing damaged in the blaze.

An unrelated garage fire ignited in Dickinson on Wednesday afternoon on Ninth Avenue Southwest. Sivak said the call came in at 12:34 p.m.

"Thanks to quick action by neighbors that recognized the thing was on fire, a couple of neighbors responded with garden hoses that in fact did help quite a bit," Sivak said. "It is also my understanding that neighbors knew there was a dog in the house and they broke in through the door and they rescued the dog.

Sivak said the fire never actually made it to the house, but neighbors were concerned and didn't want to take chances.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said the first firemen were on the scene at 12:41 p.m., and the blaze was under control at 12:54.

A total of 18 firefighters and four fire trucks responded to the incident. Sivak said the last unit was able to leave at 1:48 p.m.

He said that ashes discarded from a patio fireplace that had been used the night before ignited a fire in a dumpster that was outside the garage.

"The fire had been covered with sand and then the next morning the fire box had been cleaned out and thrown into the dumpster," Sivak said. "The sand unfortunately didn't extinguish the fire. It obviously hid some coals that kept smoldering."

Sivak added there was significant fire damage on the outside wall of the garage and the attic was damaged as well.

"What penetrated from the outside and got into the attic space actually stayed up in the attic," Sivak said. "Damage to the inside of the garage was pretty much us removing sheetrock to get at the attic space and the water we sprayed up into the attic."

He said the garage was not a complete loss.

What To Read Next
With HB 1205, Reps Mike Lefor and Vicky Steiner would prohibit "sexually explicit content" in public libraries. Facing an uphill battle, the pair remain united in their commitment to see it passed.
The North Dakota Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.
City accountant reports increases in oil impact, sales tax, hospitality tax and occupancy tax revenue during the Jan. 24 meeting, commission approves two policy amendments.
Testimony to the top House committee from a convicted attendee of the Jan. 6 rally focused on the "inhumane" treatment of Jan. 6 defendants. The committee rejected a resolution on the matter 12-0.