SUBSCRIBE NOW Just 99¢ for your first month



NDSU student dies in snowmobile accident

Ben Anderson 2.jpg
Ben Anderson
We are part of The Trust Project.

FARGO — A large group of people gathered quietly Monday night, Feb. 24, for a candlelight vigil outside the Epsilon Chapter of Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity near North Dakota State University.

The focus of the silent reverie was a large image of Ben Anderson, 22, which stood illuminated near the door of the fraternity.

A member of the fraternity who studied agribusiness at NDSU, Anderson was riding a snowmobile on Saturday, Feb. 22, on Olson Lake, about 20 miles west of Alexandria, Minn., when the snowmobile fell through the ice, according to the Grant County Sheriff's Office.

Friends performed CPR on Anderson until emergency crews arrived. He was first brought to a hospital in Alexandria and then flown to Sanford Medical Center in Fargo, where he died.

The Grant County Sheriff's Office said it is looking into the role an aeration system may have played in weakening the ice where Anderson fell through. The systems are often used to oxygenate bodies of water to keep fish from dying in the winter when lakes are iced over.


It is the second tragedy Anderson's family has faced in recent years.

His father, Patrick Anderson, died in a utility vehicle accident near Kensington, Minn., in 2016.

The vigil lasted for about 20 minutes, after which groups of people quietly drifted away.

A visitation is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 29, at Messiah Lutheran Church in Hoffman, Minn. The funeral is being held at 2 p.m. Sunday, March 1, at the same church.

What to read next
Killdeer's City Commission met Monday evening for its bimonthly meeting. A wide array of issues were discussed, including the new school building, cleanup week and the old Killdeer rodeo grounds.
Democrats are seeking a writ of prohibition, which would prevent South Dakota Secretary of State Steve Barnett from certifying the candidate's advance to the general election.
Lorenzo Pemberton, 28, was resentenced for attempted murder after agreeing to a plea deal at the Stark County Courthouse Tuesday. The initial charge was vacated by the state's highest court, due to an error in the jury instructions.
The lucky individual had a roughly 1 in 900,000 chance of winning.