Protesters march, police launch manhunt, racial tension rises

MINNEAPOLIS -- Marchers protested the death of a young black man at the hands of police. Police hunted men who fired into a crowd of protesters. Racial tensions heightened Tuesday in Minnesota's largest city.Hundreds marched to Minneapolis City H...

MINNEAPOLIS -- Marchers protested the death of a young black man at the hands of police. Police hunted men who fired into a crowd of protesters. Racial tensions heightened Tuesday in Minnesota's largest city.
Hundreds marched to Minneapolis City Hall from near where 24-year-old Jamar Clark was shot and killed by a Minneapolis police officer early Nov. 15. Among their chants: "No justice, no peace. Prosecute the police." "Send those killer cops to jail."
Meanwhile, Minneapolis police arrested three white men in connection with late Monday shootings in which five black protesters were shot and injured near the 4th police precinct station, where protesters have set up camp since Clark's shooting.
Some protesters called the shooters white supremacists.
Five black men ages 19 to 43 suffered non-life-threatening injuries, police said. Witnesses said the protesters were trying to escort the men out of the area when the shooting occurred
Three of the victims went to a hospital by private vehicle, two were taken to another hospital by ambulance. At least one victim was back protesting Tuesday.
A 23-year-old man was arrested in a Bloomington home at 11:20 a.m. Tuesday and men 21 and 26 years old turned themselves in at about 2:30 p.m.
Police said a Hispanic man arrested in his car at midday was not at the shooting scene and was released. They did not indicate if they are seeking anyone else.
The shooting occurred at 10:40 p.m. Monday.
A police news release said the department continues to work with the Hennepin County attorney and FBI on the case.
FBI spokesman Kyle Loven said on Tuesday that the FBI was "aware of last night's incident and is coordinating with the Minneapolis police to assess the situation and determine whether federal action is appropriate."
He declined to say whether the FBI was investigating the shooting as a possible hate crime.
On its Facebook page, Black Lives Matter Minneapolis called the shootings an act of "domestic terrorism."
Tuesday's march came despite Clark's family saying that the Monday night shootings mean it is time to end the protest.
A statement from Clark's brother, Eddie Sutton, urged the protests to stop.
"We appreciate Black Lives Matter for holding it down and keeping the protests peaceful," Sutton said in a statement. "But in light of tonight's shootings, the family feels out of imminent concern for the safety of the occupiers, we must get the occupation of the 4th Precinct ended and onto the next step."
However, protesters said Monday night's shooting convinced them to maintain their 4th Precinct occupation that began soon after Clark's Nov. 15 shooting.
"We will not bow to fear or intimidation," Black Lives Matter Minneapolis' Miski Noor said. "We are recommitting our occupation of the 4th Precinct until we get justice."
Pastor Danny Givens Jr. of Above Every Name Church said the demonstrators will not be scared away.
"We ain't going nowhere..." he said. "We ain't scared of domestic terrorists."
Marchers, meanwhile, stopped traffic from the 4th Precinct in North Minneapolis to City Hall in the downtown late Tuesday afternoon to express their frustration with police.
One of the marchers' chants at City Hall asked the Hennepin County attorney to make the decision about charging police in the Clark shooting. However, County Attorney Mike Freeman said Tuesday that he will submit the case to a grand jury.
Protesters say that grand juries seldom hand up charges against police.
A major driver in the protest is a demand that investigators release videos taken at the Clark shooting scene. State and federal authorities say they will not release videos during their investigation.
Gov. Mark Dayton on Monday said he has seen a video taken from an ambulance on the shooting scene and he found it an inconclusive piece of evidence as investigators try to figure out if Clark was handcuffed.
Some witnesses say Clark was handcuffed, something police strongly deny. That prompted marchers to chant: "Handcuffed? Don't shoot."
The march and other protests that have gone on around Minneapolis police's 4th Precinct station are in reaction to the shooting of Clark death by a police officer. Police say Clark was fighting for possession of the gun of one of two officers responding to a disturbance call.
Clark's funeral is noon Wednesday in a North Minneapolis church.

Reuters news service contributed to this story.

What To Read Next
The North Dakota Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.
City accountant reports increases in oil impact, sales tax, hospitality tax and occupancy tax revenue during the Jan. 24 meeting, commission approves two policy amendments.
Testimony to the top House committee from a convicted attendee of the Jan. 6 rally focused on the "inhumane" treatment of Jan. 6 defendants. The committee rejected a resolution on the matter 12-0.
The Stark County Sheriff’s Department responded to numerous calls for service over the past week, and these are just a few highlights of the incidents that occurred.