ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Road construction tops New England meeting

New England residents are asked to attend a public informational meeting at 7 p.m. tonight concerning possibilities of both local road construction and updating the sewage lift station.

New England residents are asked to attend a public informational meeting at 7 p.m. tonight concerning possibilities of both local road construction and updating the sewage lift station.

Jim Privratsky, from development firm Kadrmas & Lee & Jackson, said the meeting is only to discuss current plans for the project in New England, a project that has been in the planning stages the past few years.

New England city auditor Jason Jung said 80 percent of the cost will be paid with federal funds, with the other 20 percent to be paid through citizens.

The current project plan splits construction into three specific projects; these projects to overlay streets to remove depressions and cracks, while also replacing curves, gutters, storm inlets and sidewalks in selected areas of New England.

-Construction from 12th Street North from Main Street to Highway 22 entrance will consist of structural asphalt overlay and a seal coat.

ADVERTISEMENT

-Construction on Elevator Road from south Highway 22 entrance to Main Street construction activities of a thin list asphalt and field coat.

-Construction from Main Street from Elevator Road to 12th Street North will also consist of a thin list asphalt overlay and seal coat. There will be additional curb, gutter and sidewalk repair as well as improvements to lighting and signage.

Estimated cost and full construction details for the entire project will be revealed at the meeting.

Jung said New England residents will have a chance to lodge, or "vote", a protest against the construction project during an official "protest period" of around 30 days.

He said votes are weighed by the amount of property someone has, with a "vote" equaling a 50-by-140 square foot part of a lot.

Citizens had previously rejected a construction project proposal for the entire town which would have cost citizens around $1.5 million.

The city hopes to accept bids for construction by February 2008, with construction then to be completed by the end of that year.

Another plan to be discussed at the meeting is to replace the current sewage lift station, which will roughly cost $100,000.

What To Read Next
Get Local

ADVERTISEMENT