Soft lockdown ordered after protesters gather at North Dakota capitol

BISMARCK -- About 500 Dakota Access Pipeline protesters descended on the North Dakota Capitol, prompting a "soft lockdown" of the building Monday, Nov. 14.

BISMARCK - About 500 Dakota Access Pipeline protesters descended on the North Dakota Capitol, prompting a “soft lockdown” of the building Monday, Nov. 14.

The lockdown protocol allowed only those with key card access into the building as North Dakota Highway Patrol officers monitored exterior doors. Anyone inside the building were allowed to leave if they chose, with State Capitol employees receiving notice of the lockdown.

The protesters - carrying signs and placards while chanting - converged on the Capitol grounds, prompting the lockdown at 11:30 a.m., the Highway Patrol said.

“Based off of past experience, that seems to be their intent, is to unlawfully gather and interrupt government functions,” said Lt. Tom Iverson of the North Dakota Highway Patrol.

Pipeline opponents have actively protested the pipeline north of the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation since mid-August.


Shortly after 1 p.m., protesters marched to downtown, with several walking on residential lawns and chanting “Water is life” and “Keep the oil in the soil,” until they reached the William Guy Federal Building, the Highway Patrol said in a news release.

The protesters blocked traffic in downtown Bismarck and were told they needed to return to their vehicles. Eventually, protesters returned to the Capitol, the release said.

About 50 protesters also congregated at the pipeline construction site, 4 miles south of St. Anthony, about 10:30 a.m., where pipeline security personnel instructed them to leave. Protesters left by 11 a.m.

There were no arrests at either site, the Highway Patrol said.

What To Read Next
The North Dakota Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.
City accountant reports increases in oil impact, sales tax, hospitality tax and occupancy tax revenue during the Jan. 24 meeting, commission approves two policy amendments.
Testimony to the top House committee from a convicted attendee of the Jan. 6 rally focused on the "inhumane" treatment of Jan. 6 defendants. The committee rejected a resolution on the matter 12-0.
The Stark County Sheriff’s Department responded to numerous calls for service over the past week, and these are just a few highlights of the incidents that occurred.