BISMARCK — The North Dakota Department of Health on Friday, July 3, announced 65 new cases of COVID-19. It's the 11th day in a row active cases have climbed in North Dakota.
There are now 376 residents of the state known to be infected with the illness. This is a little more than half of North Dakota's pandemic-high number of active cases came May 21, when 670 residents were infected.
About 1.4% of the 4,639 test results announced Friday came back positive.
Eighteen of the new cases came from Cass County, which includes Fargo and West Fargo. Of the 2,295 residents who once had the illness in the county, only 185 are currently infected.
Twenty-one of the new cases came from Burleigh County, which encompasses Bismarck. The county has the second most known active cases in the state at 104 and has been growing as a hotspot for the illness over the last two weeks.
Next to Burleigh, both Morton and Grand Forks counties increased by seven. The other 12 cases came from Barnes, Burke, Mountrail, Ramsey, Richland. Rolette, Sioux, Trail, Walsh, Ward and Williams counties.
Thirty-one people recovered and removed from the active coronavirus cases list from Thursday, bringing the total number of recovered cases to 3,266.
The department says 80 North Dakotans have died from the illness, including 66 residents of Cass County. Fifty-six of the deaths have come in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.
Medical professionals listed COVID-19 as the official cause of death for 69 of the state's victims. Ten were determined to have died primarily because of another condition while infected with COVID-19, and one death record is still pending. The department also notes that nine people not included in the official death count were presumed to have died from COVID-19 but did not test positive while they were alive.
With 4,639 total tests completed Thursday, the department of health came just short of Gov. Doug Burgum's 5,000 tests a day goal. Burgum has repeatedly said the state has the capacity to perform 5,000 tests per day, and he has urged residents to seek testing whether they have symptoms or not. In the last month, the state has begun offering free mass testing events in the state's biggest metro areas.
A total of 3,722 North Dakota residents have tested positive, and there are 20 residents hospitalized with the illness, increased by one since Thursday, July 2.
The state has announced the results of 193,054 tests, but some residents have been tested more than once.
As a public service, we’ve opened this article to everyone regardless of subscription status. If this coverage is important to you, please consider supporting local journalism by clicking on the subscribe button in the upper right-hand corner of the homepage.