BISMARCK — The North Dakota Department of Health on Saturday, July 4, announced 57 new cases of COVID-19. It is the 12th day in a row active cases have climbed in North Dakota.
There are now 411 residents of the state known to be infected with the illness as of Friday. This is about 60% of North Dakota's pandemic-high number of active cases that came on May 21, when 670 residents were infected.
About 1.3% of the 4,437 test results announced Saturday came back positive.
Twenty-eight of the new cases came from Cass County, which includes Fargo and West Fargo. Of the 2,323 residents who once had the illness in the county, only 204 are currently infected.
Twelve of the new cases came from Burleigh County, which encompasses Bismarck. The county has the second most known active cases in the state at 111 and has been a growing hot spot for the illness over the last two weeks.
Next to Burleigh, active cases in Grand Forks County increased by five. The other 12 cases came from McHenry, Morton, Mountrail, Pembina, Ransom, Richland, Ward and Williams counties.
Twenty-two people recovered and were removed from the active coronavirus cases list from Friday, bringing the total number of recovered cases to 3,288.
The department says 80 North Dakotans have died from the illness, including 66 residents of Cass County. Fifty-six of the deaths have come in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.
Medical professionals listed COVID-19 as the official cause of death for 69 of the state's victims. Ten were determined to have died primarily because of another condition while infected with COVID-19, and one death record is still pending. The department also notes that nine people not included in the official death count were presumed to have died from COVID-19 but did not test positive while they were alive.
With 4,437 total tests completed Friday, the Department of Health came short of Gov. Doug Burgum's 5,000 tests a day goal. The governor has repeatedly said the state has the capacity to perform 5,000 tests per day, and has urged residents to seek testing whether they have symptoms or not. In the last month, the state has begun offering free mass testing events in the state's biggest metro areas. A total of 3,779 North Dakota residents have tested positive, but 3,288 have recovered. There are 22 residents hospitalized with the illness, up two from Friday.
The state has announced the results of 197,490 tests, but some residents have been tested more than once.
As a public service, we’ve opened this article to everyone regardless of subscription status. If this coverage is important to you, please consider supporting local journalism by clicking on the subscribe button in the upper right-hand corner of the homepage.