Weather Forecast


Bison fall at Oral Roberts on 3-pointer at buzzer in overtime

TULSA, Okla.—Tyson Ward was going to be Thursday night's hero. North Dakota State's 6-foot-6 sophomore guard buried a 3-pointer from the left wing with 2.8 seconds left to give the Bison a two-point lead.

But an Austin Ruder 3-pointer at the buzzer from the right corner gave Oral Roberts an unlikely 67-66 Summit League men's basketball victory in front of 2,366 at the Mabee Center.

"That was tough," NDSU coach Dave Richman said. "Thought our guys showed a lot of fight."

The overtime period was far from a thing of beauty for both clubs. Oral Roberts (10-17 overall, 4-6 Summit League) turned the ball over five times and only attempted three shots in the final five minutes. NDSU got up eight shot attempts, but only Ward's fell.

It appeared as though it was going to be the final shot of the game. That was until ORU's Javan White threw a baseball pass to Chris Miller near midcourt, and Ward contested the pass and knocked the ball out of bounds. So White tried again, passing the ball to Ruder who fought off pressure from Paul Miller for the game-winner.

"They made one more play than we did," Richman said.

Miller wasn't his dominant self, either. The senior guard limped around for most of the first half before finally rounding into form. He finished with 15 points, but he made only five of 17 field goal attempts and connected on only one 3-pointer out of seven tries.

"We'll have to take a look at it," Richman said of Miller's prognosis. "He's a tough kid, and he plays through a lot."

A.J. Jacobson led the Bison (12-13 overall, 4-6 Summit) with 16 points, but he missed a 3-pointer from the right wing on the final shot of regulation. That capped a scoreless 2 minutes and 23 seconds to end regulation for the Bison.

Ruder led ORU with 18 points, all coming on six made 3-pointers. Emmanuel Nzekwesi was the Golden Eagles' only other double-digit scorer with 10 points.

For the game, NDSU struggled to knock down shots. The Bison shot 31.7 percent (20 of 63) from the field and 10 of 30 from beyond the 3-point arc. NDSU did, however, make 16 of 18 free throws, including two from Miller with 28 seconds left in overtime.

NDSU: Jacobson 4-9 6-7 16, P. Miller 5-17 4-4 15, Ward 6-16 0-0 15, Samuelson 2-5 2-2 8, Hunter 1-5 4-4 7, Kreuser 1-3 0-0 3, Geu 1-2 0-0 2, Quayle 0-4 0-0 0, Eliason 0-2 0-0 0. Totals: 20-63 (FG), 16-18 (FT).

ORU: Ruder 6-15 0-1 18, Nzekwesi 5-9 0-1 10, Fuqua 3-8 3-4 9, White 3-6 2-6 8, Harris 2-6 3-3 7, Owens 2-8 2-2 6, Kearns 2-7 0-0 5, Miller 2-2 0-0 4. Totals: 25-61 (FG), 10-16 (FT).

Halftime: NDSU 32, ORU 30. Regulation: NDSU 61, ORU 61. Total fouls: NDSU 18, ORU 16. Fouled out: None. 3-point goals: NDSU 10-30 (Jacobson 2-6, P. Miller 1-7, Ward 3-5, Samuelson 2-5, Hunter 1-3, Kreuser 1-1), ORU 7-24 (Ruder 6-13, Kearns 1-5). Rebounds: NDSU 38 (P. Miller 6, Hunter 6, Eliason 5), ORU 48 (White 13, Harris 11). Assists: NDSU 14 (Jacobson 3, Hunter 3), ORU 11 (Kearns 4). Turnovers: NDSU 10, ORU 17.