The 1987 Dickinson State football team is the number five team in Dickinson State school history. Coach Hank Biesiot’s squad went 9-0 in the regular season and captured the North Dakota College Athletic Conference crown which qualified them for the NAIA playoffs.

The Blue Hawks nasty defense allowed less than 10 points per game, and they recorded three shutouts over the ten games they played.

It was the second consecutive year in which the Blue Hawks went undefeated in the regular season, before falling to Carroll (MT) in the playoffs.

Overall, the 1987 squad was the fourth Dickinson State team to go undefeated in the regular season during the 1980’s.

Current Dickinson State head football coach Pete Stanton was an all-american and stand out on the team.

Black Hills State was the season opener, and the Blue Hawks cruised to a 27-0 victory.

Nemesis Rocky Mountain was a game that loomed on the schedule next, but the Blue Hawks got the best of the Battlin’ Bears in a 34-14 win that improved them to 2-0.

An 18-14 win over Montana Tech rounded out the early season non conference portion of the schedule for Dickinson State.

With conference play beginning Minot State was the first team to take a swing at the Blue Hawks. They tried, but failed as Dickinson State allowed only a touchdown and won 24-7.

Two consecutive shutouts 26-0 against Mayville State and 28-0 against Jamestown brought Dickinson State to 3-0 in conference play and 6-0 overall.

The stingy defense finally allowed points again versus North Dakota Science, but the offense took off in a 41-13 win.

In their last conference game, the Blue Hawks took down Valley City State 38-12 to reign supreme as conference champions.

In the final regular season contest of the year, South Dakota Mines kept the game close, but the Blue Hawks prevailed, 21-7, to remain perfect.

Even with an undefeated regular season in the bag, the Blue Hawks drew a bit of bad luck in the playoffs. Carroll (MT) was awarded a home playoff game, because of their bid and the money involved, so Dickinson State had to travel in the postseason.

Dickinson State had a chance to go up by double digits in the second half, but a long field goal attempt missed, and Carroll took advantage of the Blue Hawks miscue.

They tied the game, and in overtime they took a lead which resulted in a heartbreaking 28-21 loss for Dickinson State.