It was a tough night for Dickinson hockey.

For the boys, the team’s performance paralleled that of Jamestown High for the first two periods, but the team was unable to come away with the overall victory. The Blue Jays just outshot the Midgets, with 36 shots-on-goal compared to the Midgets’ 33. But Dickinson defense made it difficult to score — that is until the third.

Midgets’ forward Evan Groll scored the first goal of the game with an assist by Landon Aman. Minutes later, the Blue Jays countered with a goal by Hunter Nelson, with assists by Jace Thompson and Connor McLachlan, ending the first period tied at one. The second period ended almost the same way as the first with both Groll and Nelson scoring the only two goals in the second period, ending it at two. But the third ended much differently — the Blue Jays took flight.

Jamestown started the third period on a power-play goal by Tommy Falk, who then followed that up with another goal minutes later, giving the Jays a 4-2 lead. Seconds later Jamestown ended the night with an empty-netter by Nolan Nenow.

“Tough game. Played well for 2 periods and gave ourselves a chance in the third,” wrote head coach Dallas Kuntz in a text to The Dickinson Press. “Wore down at the end. They just made a couple more plays than we did. The sun will shine tomorrow and practice is on the schedule. Gonna be a good day.”

The boys will return home against Bottineau on Saturday at 3 p.m.

The girls team was never truly able to get into a rhythm against Bismarck. After allowing the Blizzard to get hot offensively in the first two periods of play, the Midgets shut them out in the third. But the damage was done, falling 10-0.

The Blizzard came out of the gate ready to attack, scoring its first goal a minute into the game and continued from there. The Blizzard finished the game with a 4-0 lead against Dickinson to end the first.

Despite trying to make adjustments in the first intermission, Bismarck continued to rain fire on Dickinson, scoring its first goal of the period in nearly 30 seconds into the second period. The team finished by scoring five more throughout as the Midgets’ defense continued to be weakened.

With a massive 10-0 deficit, the Midgets’ main focus turned to the defensive side and they shut out the Blizzard in the third, but they were unable to score, ending with a shutout loss.

“We were outmanned tonight but we worked hard and were able to get several players some ice time,” wrote Al Takle in a text to The Dickinson Press. “Tierney (Yoder) was under pressure all night and did a great job in net.”

The girls will get a slight break and return to action on Tuesday, Jan. 28, on the road against Mandan.