Dickinson competes at state golf tournament

A turbulent start to the Class A tournament provided some challenges and obstacles to overcome.

CP Golf
Jack Homiston watches his ball fly down the fairway. (Race Archibald/The Dickinson Press)

Cloudy skies and rain were inbound as the boy's Class A state golf tournament got underway on Tuesday. A few Dickinson players were able to start their opening round when all of the golfers were summoned back to the clubhouse.

The tournament was delayed due to storms in the area. Play was originally suspended until 5:30 p.m. but state officials called it off after the weather would not let up, forcing players to play most of their holes on the second day.

It was a disappointing start to the tournament that saw some not fire off a single shot that day.

“We had the longest day on Tuesday,” head coach Sara Berglund said. “The weather didn't cooperate. It was brutally windy, rainy and cold. They had to wait, then practice in it and only got to play a few holes.”

A back-and-forth affair with the weather left them on edge as they waited for official word on when they could get back out on the course


Play resumed early Wednesday morning, where conditions were much more favorable as the marathon of golf began.

“Some guys played 36 holes today, it was insane,” Berglund said. “Hawktree is not an easy course to walk. It’s very up and down.”

As the day wore on, the heat began to intensify as Hawktree golf course in Bismarck had little to no areas of shade. Tournament officials, as well as parents and coaches were constantly supplying water and encouraging golfers to stay cool in the sun.

The early start on Wednesday left some golfers in a tough position as a full day of golf was on their minds.

Homiston 2nd
Homiston looks to see how many yards away he is from the hole. (Race Archibald/The Dickinson Press)

Dickinson finished the tournament 12th out of 12 teams, scoring a 357 round one score and 343 round two score. Jack Homiston had the best score with a 164. He shot an 84 on his first round and an 80 on his second, finishing in 43rd place.

Grant Bittner and Kyller Hughes finished next to each other in 65th and 66th place, both improving on their round one scores. Five of the six golfers for Dickinson had a better second round than their first.


“Our first round wasn’t where we usually score at, but it was about adjusting to the day before,” Berglund said. “A few here and there and trying to tighten things up. They came back in the second round and played much better...we just wanted to end on a good note.”

Berglund said they were up around 5 a.m. on Wednesday as play was scheduled to begin around 7. Not only was it challenging to compete in the hot temperatures, but the exhausting of playing over 30 holes of golf in one day was an obstacle in itself.

“It was a long day on Tuesday as well,” Berglund said. “But they kept a positive mindset. They thought, ’We get to play more holes in better weather.’ They enjoy playing golf.”

While their total team score of 700 was 15 strokes higher than the 11th placed team Bismarck Legacy, their second round score of 343 was much closer to the rest of the field, showing that the Midgets were able to settle in and finish the day on a good note.

West Fargo Sheyenne took the team championship, which snapped Grand Forks Red River’s streak of three consecutive championships, while the individual winner was decided in a playoff round between Minot’s Gavin Argent and Grand Forks Red River’s Zach Hinschberger.

Argent would eventually prevail in a second playoff round with a birdie on the 18th hole to earn medalist honors.

Golf second
Jace Elkin of Dickinson places his ball on the green. (Race Archibald/The Dickinson Press)

Race Archibald is a former sports reporter with The Dickinson Press.
What To Read Next
Dickinson’s gritty play earns kudos, but no cigar, as five-on-three opportunity garners no glory
Members Only
With the WDA tournament on the horizon, Dickinson thrashed St. Mary's in a 42-25 season ending dual. 
Members Only
A string of late goals for Dickinson boys hockey team would be the decider, but wouldn't cease the North Stars 'never say die' effort till the final buzzer.
Magicians secure victory with a three pin contest at an intense dual in Dickinson.